MOHAWK COLLEGE: INSTITUTIONAL AHU BIOSCRUB PROJECT WITH M&V
A Measurement and Verification analysis was performed on 3 AHUs serving the administration, theatre and common spaces of the Campus C-Wing located at 135 Fennell Ave. W., Hamilton, Ontario. The purpose of the analysis was to baseline the AHUs pre BioScrub Coil cleaning and validate the benefits of the BioScrub post cleaning that was performed in June, 2018.
BioScrub Coil Cleaning
All Coils were cleaned on the exterior (air side) following the procedure below:
- Step 1: Application of BioScrub probiotic solution on Coil’s face whilst the fan is operational which allows for better penetration in Coil.
- Step 2: Rinse BioScrub solution utilizing high pressure superheated steam applied to Coil’s face.
- Step 3: Secondary BioScrub treatment on Coil’s face to ensure complete removal of biofilm.
- Step 4: Final rinse of BioScrub solution utilizing high pressure supersaturated steam applied to Coil’s face.
Measurement and Verification (M&V)
The M&V was performed in accordance with IPMVP Protocol Option B Retrofit Isolation with the measurement of all key parameters. The M&V included an analysis on four (4) different data points:
Air Side Analysis:
- Air Flow after the Coil
- Temperature before and after the Coil
- Fan Energy Consumption
- Chilled Water Supply and Return Temperature
The Measurement and Verification on the 3 AHUs identified the following results:
Air Side Improvements:
- Airflow across Coil improved by an average of 69%
- Unchanged Power Consumption on the Fan
- Delivered capacity improved by an average of 4.85%
- Coil Approach Temperature reduced by 57.5%
- Energy Consumption Reduction of 8.9%
- Improved Flow Consistency across Coil
- Increased average Cooling Capacity across Coil
- Reduced approach Temperature on Coil
- Little to no effect on Fan Power
- Reduced Fan Energy Consumption
- Supply Temperatures that can reach setpoint faster
- Supply Temperatures that can be easily maintained across Coils
Renteknik Group Inc. is an Engineering Energy Efficiency and Environmental Consultant based in Burlington, Ontario, Canada and operates throughout North America. Renteknik’s management team has experience in a wide range of areas including engineering, design, consulting, project management, construction, distribution and manufacturing.